STC Houston is partnering again with STC New York Metro and STC Philadelphia Metro for the 2014 STC Regional TechComm Competition (New York-Philadelphia-Houston). As partners, STC Houston members pay only $50 to enter the competition!
We encourage you to submit your work to the competition for many reasons (see Why Should You Enter section). STC Houston members submit some of the finest quality work in STC. In fact, entries from Houston have gone on many times to win awards of Distinction and Best of Show in the international competition. If you have questions about the competition, review the following answers to several commonly asked questions, or contact our Competitions Manager.
Is There a Banquet?
We usually gather in February to celebrate our TechComm Competition winners and to honor our technical communication leaders and volunteers from the Houston area. More information should be available closer to February.
Why Should You Enter?
- You receive detailed evaluations from the judges, including ideas for changes and improvements.
- This objective peer evaluation supports continuous improvement and the sharing of ideas across the industry.
- You can validate your methods and earn visibility.
- Winners receive awards and tangible recognition of achievement.
- You receive the praise and adoration of your peers.
Who Can Enter and What Can Be Entered?
Anyone (student or professional) who produces technical communication, training material, or content for the web and other devices can enter. Society for Technical Communication (STC) membership is not required. You may enter work as a team, an individual, or on behalf of a colleague. Enter your best work in the following categories:
- Training Materials
- Informational Materials
- Promotional Materials
- User Support Materials
Entries are subject to the rules that are defined in the STC General Information and Competition Rules. Entries must:
- Contain sufficient technical, scientific, medical, or similar content to qualify as technical communication
- Have been produced or substantially revised within the past two years
- Have been originally prepared for and accepted for publication by a client, employer, or publisher
Go electronic! STC strongly encourages all entrants to submit the online version of their content or send URLs because:
- Uploading online entries is faster and cheaper for entrants
- There is less risk of damage to entries if sent online
- Distribution of entries to Judges can be done quicker and at lower costs
NOTE: STC adds a shipping charge for all physical entries (i.e., books, publications, manuals, posters and brochures). Whenever possible, send the URL or the online version of your content. Instructions will be given on sending entries via FTP, Dropbox or GoogleDrive.
How Is the Competition Structured?
STC offers two levels of competition:
- Local and regional
Regional competition entries that earn Excellence or Distinguished Technical Communication awards qualify for the STC International Summit Awards competition.
When Is the Submission Deadline?
All entries should arrive by the deadline: 2:00 PM on October 30, 2014
How Do I Submit an Entry?
For more information, see the New York Metro Competition Site.
- Fill in the Online Entry and print 4 copies.
- Pay the Entry fee before packing your entry online or by check:
- Student $25.00
- STC Member (NY, PMC or Houston) $50.00
- Member (Other Chapter or Community) $75.00
- Non-STC Member $100.00
- For physical entries, add a shipping charge $10.00 / entry
- You have 2 options:
- If you have online entries and can send them via FTP, DropBox or GoogleDrive, email to Tom Myers who will send back instructions to you.
- If you have physical entries, (hardcopy) pack each entry with the 4 printed application forms to the following mailing address. For each entry, you should have 4 completed entry forms and 4 copies of the entry, (print copies, CDs or DVDs). DO NOT combine multiple entries into one DVD).
Draeger Medical Systems Inc.
3135 Commerce Rd
Telford, PA 18969
Attn: Karen Levine, Manager, Technical Documentation, Building 4
Karen Levine, Competition Entries Co-Manager
How Do I Volunteer to Judge?
If you are interested in judging, see Call for Judges for more information. Be sure to complete the Judges Information Form by October 3, 2014.