> Dateline Houston >
> From the Editor
Volume 42, Issue 3
From the Editor
STC Houston Online Mailing List
by Rebecca Taylor, Product Marketing Analyst, Hewlett-Packard Company
Last month, I mentioned that editors are passionate people, and the last few
months on the STC
Houston mailing list have certainly demonstrated that! Iíd like to offer some
suggestions to help everyone make the most out of our mailing list.
If youíre concerned about the volume of mail you receive from the list, you
have a couple of options:
- set your subscription to digest mode
- create a mailing list e-mail address to check at your convenience
Mailing List Purpose
Weíve had some contentious debate lately about the purpose of the mailing list.
There are three camps in the purpose debate:
- The mailing list is there for dialogue and conversation.
- Itís there for only important announcements.
- Who cares?
Iím in the dialogue camp. We created the list with the intention of providing
our members with a forum for discussing whatever is on your mind, so long as
it relates to our profession.
Now, having said that, I want to know what you think. Is the mailing list serving
its purpose, or do we need to consider alternatives? What would you prefer for
our online discussion tools?
- one list for everything
- an e-mail list for announcements, and an e-mail list for discussion
- an e-mail list for announcements, and a message board for discussion
- a message board for everything
- I donít care
You can vote at www.stc-houston.org/newsletter/poll.shtml.
As always, please feel free to contact me directly with questions or suggestions!